“This was the same game we played yesterday,”
Todd pitched eight innings, allowing just two singles to USC second baseman Travis Jones with one walk on 119 pitches. He improved to 9-2 on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.49. Todd is 5-0 over his last six starts with a 0.91 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 49.2 innings.
“Today was the first day all year I had command of all three of my pitches,” Todd said. “I got ahead of the count and it really helped me out deep in the game.”
The No. 15 Razorbacks improve to 40-18 on the season and have won their first two games at the SEC Tournament for just the second time in 14th appearances. It is the first back-to-back shutouts by the Hogs since 1989 when they blanked Western Michigan 15-0 on March 4 and
The Hogs have Friday off before facing the winner of the South Carolina/Florida game at 10 a.m. Saturday.
Casey Coon and Logan Forsythe paced the
Arik Hempy took the loss to fall to 5-3 on the season. He pitched five innings and allowed five runs – four earned – on eight hits with five strikeouts and two walks. Wynn Pelzer allowed the Gamecocks last run in one inning of work in the sixth.
The Razorbacks jumped on top for the second straight day with a two-run first inning as Forsythe and Danny Hamblin both delivered two-out RBI singles.
Forsythe hammered his eighth home run of the season in the third inning to extend the lead to 5-0. The three-run shot plated Casey Coon and Brian Walker, who opened the inning with back-to-back base hits.
Coon lashed his third single of the game through the right side of the infield to give the Hogs a 6-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth inning. It was his 68th RBI of the season, tying him with Hamblin’s 2006 campaign for the 10th-most in a single season in school history.
· Jess Todd fanned a school-record 17 batters in eight innings. He broke the previous record of 16 by David Walling vs.
· The 17 strikeouts were also an SEC Tournament record, breaking
· Todd struck out the first nine batters of the game – all swinging – which is believed to be a school record.
· The back-to-back 6-0 shutouts of
· It is just the second time in 14 SEC Tournament appearances that the Razorbacks have won the first two games. The 1998 team won the first three games before losing to
· Todd’s 124 strikeouts this season rank as the fourth-best single-season total in school history. Nick Schmidt’s 107 rank sixth.
· Dave Van Horn’s Hogs are now 4-1 against top-10 competition this season.
· The Hogs are 35-9 this season when they score first.
· The Razorbacks are 8 for 17 (.471) with runners in scoring position during the first two games of the SEC Tournament. UA is also 9 for 24 (.375) with two outs, including eight two-out RBI.
· Hamblin is now hitting .327 over the last 41 games with 20 home runs, 12 doubles, 48 RBI, a .788 slugging percentage and a .398 on-base percentage with 43 runs scored. He began the year hitting .119 (5 for 42).
· Todd is 5-0 over his last six starts with a 0.91 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 49.2 innings. He has 74 strikeouts in 54.2 innings since returning to the Hogs’ rotation against