Home / Football / Kolkata Lifts Hero Indian Super League For The Second Time In The Tie-Breakers

Kolkata Lifts Hero Indian Super League For The Second Time In The Tie-Breakers

After 56 group matches, 4 semi-finals, and an outstanding final, the third edition of the Hero Indian Super League comes to an end with Atletico de Kolkata lifting the title for the second time. It had been an exceptional match. The level of contest between the two teams can be understood from the fact that the winners of the match were only decided after the last shot of the tie-breakers were taken.

Picture Courtesy: Hindustan Times
Picture Courtesy: Hindustan Times

Atletico de Kolkata and Kerala Blasters were the two teams facing each other for the title spot. The contest was scheduled in the home ground of Kerala Blasters. The crowd had poured out their confidence in the team, by turning up in huge numbers. The teams played some good piece of football, in the first quarter of the first half. However, they failed to score a goal. However, soon, the game increased its momentum and Mohammad Rafi from Kerala Blasters, was able to convert a flying corner into a goal, with a brilliant header.

Even Contest Between The Two Teams Saw The Best Team Win

Picture Courtesy: CricketCountry.com
Picture Courtesy: CricketCountry.com

The joy for the yellow army was not for long, as Kolkata looked keen to score the equalizer. It was not too long before Henrique Sereno came to the rescue for ATK. He tucked the ball into the nets from a flying corner kick by Doutie. At half-time, the scoreline read 1-1. With the onset of the second half of the match, the two teams seemed determined to earn a winner for their team, however, the players from both the teams failed.

At the completion of the regular 90-minutes play, the scoreboard still read 1 each. The match was thus pushed to the extra time. It was clearly visible that the players of both the teams were quite worn down by the stress that they were going through. But that by no ways did affect the quality of football that the teams played. However, even after 120 minutes of play, the match was yet to see a winner.

Finally, the tie-breakers started. Ian Hume missed the first tie-breaker shot and thus led down Kolkata. However, N’Doye, of Kerala Blasters, skied the ball, which brought back both the teams to the same page. Following this, Debjit Majumder, the goalkeeper of ATK saved an absolute stunner from the captain of Kerala on the last shot by the yellow army. However, Jewel Raja, was successful in converting the final shot and thus win the match for the team.

Check Also

The Dismal Form Of FC Goa Continues In ISL With Their Recent Loss To Chennaiyin FC

Happy days are yet to come for FC Goa in the ongoing Indian Super League …